Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Blog Dedicated to My People



Hello all!!

Well, I decided to come up with a blog today for some strange reason at 12 am in the morning. lol. I guess I wanted to start this because so many of us black women are obsessed with our hair, no matter if its long or if it is short.We love or hair, it is out accessory EVERYWHERE. So why not blog about it. Why not share the knowledge and tips I have with other people who want to know?

I mean, what in the hell got me up to do a blog. I guess I started thinking about my precious little cousins. And how they are just so adorable and cute. But the only thing, THE ONLY THING, that i don't like about them is their hair. I mean their mother has them looking crazy. They have these half done braids or cornrows in their hair and their mother sends them to school thinking that's all right. Its not. And this kind of thinking is the reason why we see so many little girls, or teenagers, with there hair badly broken off. Because the knowledge that should have went from mom to daughter about how to take care of your hair was never there. The kids don't know what to do with their hair so they try to imitate whats on tv, then that just makes things worse and then brings frustration. Which then leads to kids helpless with broken off hair, and when they are older they run to weaves and braids, breaking off their hair more, because they put these styles in not knowing what else to do.

Now don't get me wrong. I love braids and weaves(I have some in now). But don't you wonder why you see black women who wear braids and weaves and their hair is still badly damaged? Its because they don't know the fundamentals of basic hair growth and maintenance.

Black hair is a wild beast, that has to be tamed and spoiled. You have to nurture it, give it food to live, and take care of it. You have to know what you shouldn't do with it and what you should do with it. What works and what doesn't work. And most importantly, you have to know how it behaves, because all hair is different.

Anyway. I will cover these topics more in detail as time goes on. But I just wanted to introduce myself, let you guys know how it is, and why I'm doing this. I hope I will get many subscriptions and even if I don't, I'm still going to give the info to those who need it, whether your hair is natural, relaxed, in braids, in weaves, in wigs, or colored, I got you!

Peace, love, and let God Bless you,

Alter Ego


Topics being discussed next are(in this order):
Weaves
Braids
Relaxed
Natural

2 comments:

  1. Thats right!!!

    IM lovinn that picture thoo!!
    I wish my hair was like that when I was a little girl!!

    BLACK PEOPLE UNITE! lol atleast the black women unite.lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it's just a chick from blackhairmedia stopping in to comment!

    yeah, i used to go to school with little black girls with VERY badly broken off hair. hell, most in my 3rd grade class had weaves at the point, probably alreadly getting relaxers as well. when i was at that age, i was just dying for a relaxer so i could wear my hair out. but, my mother never budged on that until i was 11. mostly because at that point i was surrouned by mostly hispanic girls, with that anglo-saxon hair texture, so i wanted to imitate that. thank god my sister still did my hair at that point, so i never got the chance to ruin it! but i still couldn't understand why my hair didin't grow as fast as other girls, i just didn't get that my hair hadn't settled into it's adult texture, even though it was being relaxed. now at 19, though my hair is so breakage prone, it grows SO fast. i guess once i stopped believing the whole "black girls can't grow long hair" stereotype that was passed around at my school, and learned what MY hair needed, long or short, things changed for me. i think this is what a lot of black women need. i will say that SOME black women who constantly have weaves in to the point of damage are holding on to some type of image of what they should look like. i think we need to educate ourselves on how to take care of our hair, kinky or relaxed, and let go of society's beauty ideal of what our hair should look like. also, i think for some, even with education, time and money is still a factor, hair is expensive, and a lot of work. and for some women in the hood who don't have those privleges, a sub-par weave or badly damaged hair is okay because they don't know any better, and can't afford any better as well.

    ReplyDelete